3rd Birthday Party Celebration Ideas
Reaching the age of 3 years old is a major milestone for any child. But it’s even more of a milestone for parents, because turning 3 means that your child is now required to turn in their terrible twos membership card and official badge. For this reason, 3rd birthday party celebrations are often more for the adults than the children.
At the age of 3, your child should be able to somewhat grasp the concept of a birthday party, although not entirely. They will have a good understanding that the day is all about them. With that being said, it probably won’t make much of a difference to your newly crowned 3 year old where you have the party, how much you spend or how many friends you invite. They will generally be good with whatever you decide to do.
The first big decision is whether you want to have the party at your house or at some other location. If you choose to have the party outside of your home, you can still self-host it at a park or even a restaurant. Or you have the option to have the party at a place that offers birthday packages, although you’ll need to make sure that the facility is age appropriate for 3 year olds.
Here are a few 3rd birthday party ideas to consider:
Birthdays based on popular movie themes:
All of the movies and television shows listed below are great options for building a themed birthday party. Party supplies based on each movie or show are generally readily available, which makes the job of planning that much easier. The party supply store may even have themed invitations you can send out. Other options for your party can include playing songs from the movie or television show, playing games such as movie trivia or setting up other challenges based on the movie or show. You can also have themed prize giveaways for the winners. Make it even more memorable by setting aside 2 hours for the kids to all watch the movie together. Don’t forget about your themed cake. And if you want to go all out, there are also companies that specialize in character appearances!
Popular kid’s movie birthday themes:
- The Lion King
- The Little Mermaid
- Monsters, Inc.
- Beauty and the Beast
- Finding Nemo (Finding Dory)
- Toy Story
- Despicable Me Party (Minions)
- All Disney Princess theme
Popular kid’s television show and book character birthday themes:
- Hello Kitty
- Sophia the First
- My Little Pony
- Monster High
- Doc McStuffins
- Elana of Avalor
- Peppa Pig
- Super Mario
- Thomas the Train
- Jake and the Neverland Pirates
- Paw Patrol
- Bubble Guppies
- Mickey Mouse
- Minnie Mouse
- Secret Life of Pets
- Ninja Warriors
- Sesame Street
- Cat in the Hat
Other 3rd Birthday Party Ideas
- Host the party at an aquarium (most offer birthday packages)
- Host the party at your local zoo (most offer birthday packages and you can also tie in a theme such as the Lion King)
- Take the kids out to a local farm that’s familiar with hosting birthday parties for kids
- Have a petting zoo
- Host a sports themed party (soccer, baseball, football, softball, etc.)
- Host your party at a local museum (many children’s museums have birthday packages)
- Take the kids to Build-a-Bear Workshop
- Take the kids on a train ride
- Host your party at The Little Gym
- Host your party at Chuck E. Cheese’s (or other themed restaurant that offers games and birthday packages)
- Host the party at a local arcades or Indoor play-land that offers birthday packages
- Rent a bounce house or inflatable water slide (or take the kids to a company that specializes in bounce house birthday parties).
- Have a fun baking class where the kids all get to work together to bake cupcakes or birthday cookies.
- Host a craft party where you can bring in experts to help teach the kids how to paint, make jewelry or even pottery. Craft stores like Michael’s also offer birthday packages.
- Have a “fun with water” party – sprinklers, water balloons, squirt guns, etc.
- Host your party at an indoor trampoline park
- Have an ice cream themed party where the kids get to mix up their own ice cream creations
- Host the birthday party at a theme park (most offer birthday packages)
- Hire some face painters – always a hit
- Host a tea party
- Ask a local fire department if they have programs for kids
- Create a superhero themed party (Avengers, Batman, Superman, Justice League, etc.)
- Take the kids to a local puppet theater
- Take the kids to a local youth theatre
- Rent a portable backyard movie screen and projector and have your own backyard movie party
- Mermaids are very popular, so build your birthday them around them
- Create a birthday theme based on sharks
- Create a birthday theme based on Dinosaurs
- Host a jungle animal themed party
- Host a party based on your daughter’s favorite fairytale
- Take the kids out to a popular movie
- Celebrate in the park